26 Jul 2009

笑口棗 - smiling doughnuts

I was looking for Alex Goh's recipe books at the library last week but couldn't find any. So I borrowed a chinese recipe book to look at the food photography. My mum looked at the books and decided to make 笑口棗 (smiling doughnuts) today, and me and my sister decided to help.

I remember eating these during my trip last year in Malaysia. They were only 60 sen at 'baasak' and I bought a whole heap. They were nice but they were oily when opened inside. The ones we made today are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.


Blahahahaha took photos while mum was in action xD

***
笑口棗 (smiling doughnuts)
adapted from 亲子节日食谱
later edited by my mum

TASTE BEST ON DAY MADE
ingredients:

  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tb oil
  • 3 Tb water
  • white sesame seeds for coating
method:
1. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl.
2. Beat eggs with sugar, oil and water until well combined.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the sifted flour.

4. Using your hands, mix flour and egg mixture together until it forms a dough.

5. Divide mixture into 2 parts. Roll them into a sausage shape and cut into small pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.

6. Slightly dampen balls so that they can stick to the sesame seeds. (Try not to make it that wet.) Re-roll each ball so sesame seeds don't fall out when frying.

7. Heat a small wok of oil. Deep fry balls in medium heat until golden and burst into a smiling shape.