1 Feb 2010

cheesy vegetable and bacon slice

This was one of the recipe featured in the leaflets available in Coles. As it is nearly back to school for Victorian students, Coles teamed up with Nutrition Australia (Not For Profit Organisation) to create healthy box lunches under $3.

Well, I had a look at the leaflet and had go at the cheesy vegetable and bacon slice which turned out quite nice, frittata like. I had all the ingredients on hand so I just mixed everything in. As it finished baking, I suddenly realised I forgot to add in two ingredients - milk and flour! I also halved the recipe, so the mixture was quite watery therefore not spoon-able like the recipe says.

But it still turned out edible which was all it mattered :) It was hearty eaten warm, but tastes just as good when it's cooled.

I should read the recipe more carefully, because I doubt the next time I will be lucky. But I don't think I am going to add in the ingredients I forgot for next time :P

Here's the original recipe, if you are interested:

Cheesy Vegetable and Bacon Slice
reproduced from the Coles recipes leaflet

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Delicious and easy, this recipe tastes even better the next day.

Ingredients:
serves 8
  • 1 Tb oil (olive or canola)
  • 1 medium brown onion
  • 3 rashers bacon, chopped (fat removed)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen carrots, peas and corn
  • 5 extra large eggs
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1/4 cup light milk
  • 1 cup light tasty cheddar cheese, grated
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius conventional/ 150 degrees Celsius fan forced.
  2. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook onions and bacon for 3-4 minutes until softened and bacon is slightly crispy.
  3. Add peas and corn and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to thaw. Remove mixture to a bowl.
  4. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix in bacon/vegetable mixture.
  5. Season with pepper and spoon into a greased and lined 28cm x 18cm brownie/slice pan.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffed.
  7. Remove gently and cool in fridge.
  8. Cut into slices