2 May 2013

the second broth


「よつばと!」9巻
(あずまきよひこ・電撃コミックス)
This year I've been saying "I can't believe it's [insert month] already!" quite a bit. But I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that time seems to go by faster and faster each year. We're one month short of winter, but I definitely felt its chill as of this morning. The weather eventually warmed up in the afternoon though.

Remember that weird looking cake I made last year? I decided to make something that I saw in the the same manga again. This time tonjiru, which is similar to a miso soup but heartier with some sliced pork and vegetables in it. 

I didn't follow a particular recipe and just used whatever I had at home. This time round: nibandashi, pork spareribs, reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, burdock root (gave the soup a really nice Chinese herbal aroma), Chinese cabbage, aburaagekonnyaku, carrot, spring onion, white miso and a pinch of shichimi togarashi to serve. With some steamed rice on the side, it was an easy lunch on the table.