8 Jan 2014

the secret bulgogi recipe

Sometime last year I met S on an island via Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Occasionally we visit each other in-game and chat on skype. One time I asked if she knew a good bulgogi recipe and she sent me her mum's recipe! I finally had the chance to make it this week. It's very easy to make at home and tastes good too! Although my parents did find it a little bit on the sweet side; I'll just tweak it a little bit for next time. 

The recipe isn't as 'secret' now as S and her mum have kindly allowed me to post it here, but I hope you all enjoy it just like I did! Hopefully I'll be able to share some more recipes from S's mum soon!

● ● ●

S's mum's secret bulgogi recipe     serves 4-5 as part of a meal
slightly adapted by me

500g rib eye steak (I used beef skirt)
5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 Tb soy sauce (+/-) depending on how salty you want it
1 Tb honey or sugar
1/3 kiwi fruit, finely chopped (or 1/2 cup asian pear juice)*
2 Tb red wine (I used sake)
1 Tb sesame oil
2 small onions, sliced
black pepper
sliced spring onions and mushrooms etc., optional, to serve

Slice beef thinly against the grain and mix well with garlic, soy sauce, honey, kiwi fruit and wine. Leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours to overnight.

When ready to cook, heat a pan and drizzle with some sesame oil. Saute the onions until fragrant and add in the beef. Allow the underside to brown and add optional vegetables before stir frying to cook for a few more seconds. Season with a little black pepper.

Garnish with sliced spring onions and toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice.

*According to S and her mum, it is more common in Korea to use asian pear juice, whereas in western countries, it is more common to use kiwi fruit.

I had a bit of beef leftover from the previous night and stir fried it this morning for breakfast. I made a little seaweed wrap with the leftover rice, sesame seeds, pickled carrots and spring onions. It was kind of hard to eat in one bite because I put in too much filling. In the end I just dumped everything in a bowl and mixed it together. 

Here's a screen cap of us going to the island this afternoon. There's Ting-Ting in the back of the boat, S in the red hat and me in the blue cap.