15 Jul 2014

toasted coconut waffles

I've made a few variations of waffles up to date, but my sister keeps coming back to these ones (I like liege waffles!). I worked out a recipe last holidays for these coconut waffles but I forgot where I put it...so I've come up with a different one that tastes just as good if not better. I made some with pandan paste last week and wanted to try making some without. Tastewise, my sister prefers the green ones but I'm ok with either. 

I still see them being sold in Vietnamese bakeries around my area and I think they're still as popular as they were back then. I'm not quite sure how much one costs nowadays, but back in the heyday they were about $1 each.

My sister is a crazy waffle eater so I often make double batches to be toasted later. If you're interested I've included an ingredient list at the end of the post since not all ingredients are doubled. For my previous waffle recipe that incorporates yeast, please click here

It's become a habit to do chicken scratchings on sheets of baking paper when I bake so I can adapt and perfect the recipe for another time. Actually, this is what my uni notes look like. Unfortunately there is no food involved.

◯ ◯ ◯

toasted coconut waffles     makes 7-8 
adapted loosely from the recipes in the manual

200g plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
120g caster sugar 
50g desiccated coconut, toasted
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
300ml coconut milk
60ml cooking oil
about 1/2 tsp pandan paste (optional)

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, coconut and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine and make a 'well'. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add coconut milk, oil and pandan paste (if using) and whisk to combine. Pour into other bowl and stir to combine. Cook waffle mixture on a hot waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. I like to use the 'darker' setting.

◯ ◯ ◯

Edit: Photo added 8 January 2015

double quantity waffle batter

300g plain flour, sifted
3 tsp baking powder
200g caster sugar
100g desiccated coconut, toasted
two pinches of salt
3 large eggs
600ml coconut milk (or 400ml coconut milk + 200ml milk/water)
120ml cooking oil
few drops of pandan paste 

Cook as above.